Apple Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce
- Yield: 12 servings
- 1loaf challah, cut into 16 (1/2-inch) slices
- 2tablespoons butter
- 4-- Golden Delicious, Gala or Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 5-- eggs
- 2/3cup sugar
- 3cups milk
- 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 1teaspoon vanilla
- Vanilla Sauce:
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 1/2cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2cup heavy cream
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the pudding. Arrange the bread slices in the bottom of a greased 9×13-inch baking dish, overlapping the slices if necessary. Melt half the butter in a skillet. Add half the apples and cook for 2 1/2 minutes. Turn the apples over and cook for 2 1/2 minutes longer. Arrange over the bread in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining butter and apples. Whisk the eggs, 2/3 cup sugar, the milk and vanilla in a bowl. Pour evenly over the apple layer. Mix 1 tablespoon sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over the layers. Bake at 325F for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack.
- For the sauce. Mix the granulated sugar, brown sugar, cream, butter and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring just to a boil, stirring frequently. Serve warm over the bread pudding.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Northwest Arkansas’s Add Another Place Setting (Junior League of Northwest Arkansas, 2008).