Apple and Gorgonzola Cheese Salad
- Yield: servings
Pairing tart fall Braeburn apples with fresh citrus flavors and earthy walnut oil, this salad may appear on your dinner table more often than you think.
- 2whole Braeburn Apples, thinly sliced
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1whole carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8cups mixed salad greens
- 1small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2tablespoons fresh orange juice (for dressing)
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice (for dressing)
- 1tablespoon honey (for dressing)
- 2teaspoons dijon mustard (for dressing)
- 1/4cup walnut oil (for dressing)
- - salt and pepper, to taste (for dressing)
- 1/4cup toasted walnut pieces
- 3tablespoons crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- Coat the apple with the lemon juice and set aside. Place the carrot slivers and mixed greens on a platter. Top with the onion and set aside.
- Whisk together the orange and lemon juices, honey and mustard. Slowly add the oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly.
- Add the apples to the salad. Top with walnuts and cheese. Drizzle on the vinaigrette.
Used with permission from American Diabetes Association. Taken from the Comfort Food Cookbook by Robyn Webb, MS.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 150
- Fat 10g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 95mg
- Carbohydrate 14g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 10g
- Protein 2g