Anything-Goes Bread Pudding
- Yield: 15 servings
- Bread Pudding:
- 3-- eggs
- 2cups milk
- 2cups half-and-half
- 7tablespoons butter, melted
- 2tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-- (10-ounce) loaf French bread, torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 to 5cups coconut, pecans, raisins or chocolate chips
- -- Whiskey Sauce (below)
- Whiskey Sauce
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 1/2cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-- egg yolk
- 1/2cup bourbon or other liqueur
- For the bread pudding. Beat the eggs in a large mixer bowl until fluffy. Add the milk, half-and-half, butter, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Fold in the bread and coconut. Mixture should be very moist but not soupy. Pour into a buttered 9×13-inch glass baking dish. Bake at 350F for 1 1/4 hours or until golden brown.
- To serve, cut the bread pudding into squares and place on serving plates. Serve warm Whiskey Sauce over the bread pudding.
- For the Whiskey Sauce. Beat the butter and confectioner's sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until the butter is absorbed. Remove from the heat. Blend in the egg yolk gradually. Add the bourbon gradually, stirring constantly. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Assistance League of the Bay Area’s Settings on the Dock of the Bay (the Assistance League of Houston, Texas, 1999).