Any Bean Soup
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 to 2cup chopped onions
- 1cup chopped green onions
- 1cup chopped celery with leaves
- Butter, vegetable oil or bacon drippings
- 1/4cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (1-pound) package navy beans, lima beans, split peas or lentils
- 2quarts water
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- Ham bone, ham hock or bacon drippings (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onions, green onions and celery in butter in a stockpot until the onions are tender. Stri in the parsley. Saute for 1 minute. Add any variety or combination of sorted and rinsed beans, peas or lentils, water, bay leaves and ham bone.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer over low heat until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard the bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior Welfare League’s Cooking by the Boot Straps (Junior Welfare League of Enid, Oklahoma, 2002).