Anise Almond Biscotti
- Yield: 3 dozen
- 3 1/4cups all-purpose flour
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2cups sugar
- 1/2cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3-- eggs
- 1tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2teaspoons anise seeds, toasted and bruised
- 1cup whole almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl. Mix the sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla and anise seeds in a large bowl. Add the flour mixture and stir with a spoon until blended. Stir in the almonds.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions. Shape each portion into 13 1/2 inches long by 2 1/2 inches wide. Place several inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. The logs will spread. Remove to a wire rack and cool for 25 minutes. Maintain the oven temperature.
- Place the logs on a cutting board. Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch slices. Place on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn and bake for 5 mintues longer. Let cool on a wire rack. For variationk, add 1 cup miniature chocolate chips to the batter, or dip the biscotti into melted chocolate.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Tallahassee’s A Thyme to Celebrate (the Junior League of Tallahassee, Inc. Tallahassee, Florida 2009).