- Black Bean Sauce:
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1tablespoon each minced gingerroot and garlic
- 1/2teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2cup orange juice
- 1bunch scallions
- 1pound dried angel hair pasta cooked according to package directions and drained
- 1ounce Chinese dry black mushrooms*
- 1cup shredded carrots
- 8 scallions, sliced
- 1cup sliced drained canned water chestnuts
- 1tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 1tablespoon garlic, minced
- 5 egg whites
- 2tablespoons cornstarch
- 2tablespoons low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 1/2cups unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 2teaspoons Oriental sesame oil
- 2teaspoons peanut oil
blog comments powered by
- To make the sauce: Combine all ingredients (except green onions) in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. Sprinkle scallions on top before serving alongside pancakes.
- To make the pancakes: Combine all ingredients except the oils in a large bowl. Let sit 5 minutes. Combine both oils and add just enough to a large nonstick skillet to coat the bottom. Heat over medium heat.
- Using a 1/2-cup measure, scoop the noodle mixture and place it in pan, pressing to slightly flatten each scoopful. Repeat until pan is full of pancakes. Cook 3 minutes per side, turning once, or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and place in a 300 F oven until ready to serve. Pancakes may have to be fried in batches; add oils as needed. Makes about 16 pancakes.
*These mushrooms are available at any Asian or natural food store but 3 ounces of fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly, may be substituted.