Angel Hair Noodle Pancakes
- Yield 16 servings
Angel Hair Noodle Pancakes are a unique way to enjoy pasta. These pancakes take on Asian flavor when served with a spicy black bean sauce.
- Black Bean Sauce:
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon each minced gingerroot and garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 pound dried angel hair pasta cooked according to package directions and drained
- 1 ounce Chinese dry black mushrooms*
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 8 scallions, sliced
- 1 cup sliced drained canned water chestnuts
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 5 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Oriental sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- To make the sauce: Combine all ingredients (except green onions) in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. Sprinkle scallions on top before serving alongside pancakes.
- To make the pancakes: Combine all ingredients except the oils in a large bowl. Let sit 5 minutes. Combine both oils and add just enough to a large nonstick skillet to coat the bottom. Heat over medium heat.
- Using a 1/2-cup measure, scoop the noodle mixture and place it in pan, pressing to slightly flatten each scoopful. Repeat until pan is full of pancakes. Cook 3 minutes per side, turning once, or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and place in a 300 F oven until ready to serve. Pancakes may have to be fried in batches; add oils as needed. Makes about 16 pancakes.