Angel Hair Mushroom Arrabiata
- Yield 4 servings
A steaming bowl of fresh-cooked linguine with hot chili peppers, really good extra-virgin olive oil and fresh basil.
- 1 pound angel hair pasta or linguine
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms (button, oyster, portobello, cremini, and/or shiitake)
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, crushed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded (optional)
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water according to package directions until al dente. Drain and rinse in ice water to stop cooking. Drain.
- Heat olive oil in a nonreactive large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic, mushrooms and pepper flakes. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms begin to turn golden. Add lemon zest, basil and cooked pasta and combine well, adding a little water if needed to prevent sticking. Season with salt and serve immediately when heated through. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired.