- Yield: 20 biscuits servings
- 3envelopes dry yeast
- 1 1/2cups warm water
- 4cups self-rising flour
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1cup shortening
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- Mix the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl. Cut in the shortening until crumbly.
- Add the yeast mixture, mixing with a fork to form a ball.
- Knead on a floured surface four or five times.
- Roll 1/2-inch thick.Cut with a 1-inch or 1 1/2-inch biscuit cutter.
- Bake on a baking sheet in a preheated 400 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Freeze in plastic freezer bags if desired.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior Leage of Chicago’s Peeling the Wild Onion: A Collection of Chicago Culinary Culture (The Junior League of Chicago, 2008)