Anchovy Tomato Toasts
- Yield: 8 servings
"This has always been one of our family "must-have" starters in our get-togethers. Because it is topped with bright red tomatoes, it's ideal for Christmas or Valentine's Day. It may be served warm or at room temperature and is quick and easy to prepare."
- 1/4cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoons minced garlic (about 1 head or 12 garlic cloves total)
- 1 to 2teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1tablespoon chopped parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1loaf French bread, cut on the diagonal into eight 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 8medium spinach or basil leaves
- 4slices provolone, quartered
- 2 Roma tomatoes, cut into 8 slices total
- Heat the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir frequently until the butter melts and begins to darken slightly. Add the olive oil and stir until well blended. Add the garlic and cook for 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in the anchovy paste. Remove from the heat and add the parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet and bake for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Spoon an equal amount of the anchovy mixture, about 1 tablespoon, on each bread slice, and spread evenly. Place a spinach leaf on each bread slice and top with provolone. Top with a tomato slice. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Chris Makalinao, Dallas, Texas