Amped-Up Red Pepper Paste
- Yield 16 servings
Slathered on chicken or mixed with a bit of mayonnaise and used as a dip for shrimp, the sauce uses sweet and smoked paprika.
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 9 -- garlic cloves
- 2 -- bay leaves, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 7 -- sprigs fresh cilantro
- 5 -- sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- dash of hot sauce
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine all ingredients (except oil) in a food processor and pulse until garlic and herbs are minced. With motor running, slowly add olive oil until a thick paste forms. Spoon into a jar and refrigerate up to a month. Makes about 1 cup.
Reprinted with permission from David Leite's The New Portuguese Table (Clarkson Potter Publishers, 2009).