Amber Beer-Braised Steaks with Leeks and Gorgonzola Crumbles
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 15 mins
This sounds super-fancy for just five ingredients, right? The sweet flavor of the beer is excellent when partnered with the sweet leeks and tangy Gorgonzola cheese (although any blue-veined cheese will work).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 lean steaks (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 leeks, rinsed well and chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 1 cup amber beer
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season both sides of the steaks with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the steaks to the hot pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side, until just browned.
- Remove the steaks from the pan.
- Add the leeks to the same pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, until the leeks are tender and golden brown. Add the beer and broth and bring to a simmer.
- Return the steaks to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes, until the steaks are medium.
- Transfer the steaks and sauce to a serving platter and top with the Gorgonzola cheese.
— From Robin Takes 5: 500 Recipes, 5 Ingredients or Less, 500 Calories or Less, for 5 Nights/Week at 5:00 PM / by Robin Miller / Andrews McMeel Publishing
For more information on why meat needs to rest after cooking, watch this video for tips from the “Butcher Boys” of Porter Road Butcher in Nashville, TN