Beef and Black Bean Chili
- Yield 8 servings
This thick Texas-style chili will be the hit of your Super Bowl Party! To crank up the heat, add chopped chipotle peppers in adobo.
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Optional Toppings:
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Diced avocado
- Chopped green onions
- Chopped cilantro
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
- Lime wedges
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a heavy Dutch oven over medium heat. Add beef, and sauté, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no pink remains, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer meat to a small bowl. Sprinkle with salt, and set aside.
- Drain liquid from pot, and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add onion and sauté until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute more. Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano and cinnamon. Cook together 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, water, beef, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and honey. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and lime juice and cook 5 minutes.
Recipe by Laraine Perri for Relish, Oct. 2011
For a complete menu featuring Beef and Black Bean Chili, along with 11 more simple menus for year round entertaining, check out our Supper Club Menus Recipe App for the iPad on iTunes.