Amazing Glazed Chicken in Romaine with Asian Raisin Relish
- Yield: 16 servings
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 10 minutes
Juicy chicken strips, glazed in a delightful, spicy fruit mixture with some Asian flavors, nestled into romaine leaves and crowned with an incredible raisin relish mixture. Simple, different, and totally delectable.....
- 1/2cup pineapple preserves
- Juice and finely grated rind of 1 lime
- 1tablespoon soy sauce
- 1teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1cup California raisins
- 1small mango, peeled and diced
- 1/2cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1/4cup diced red onion
- 2tablespoons shredded fresh mint
- 2tablespoons sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 4medium boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2tablespoons canola oil
- 1teaspoon Asian chili sauce (such as Sriracha)
- 16small romaine leaves, cleaned and trimmed
- Whisk together preserves, lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil and ginger root, blending well.
- Combine raisins, mango, cucumber, onion, mint, sesame seeds and reserved lime zest. Add 2 tablespoons of the preserves mixture.
- Cut each breast lengthwise into 4 somewhat equal strips. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and pepper.
- Heat canola oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat; when hot, add chicken strips and cook until tender, about 8 minutes total, turning to brown all sides. Add the remaining preserve, along with chili sauce; cook until chicken is nicely glazed, turning frequently. Remove from heat.
- Place a chicken strip into each romaine leaf; top with raisin relish and place on a serving platter. Garnish with additional fresh mint and sesame seeds, if desired. Makes 16 appetizer servings (or 4 main dish servings).
Recipe by Janice Elder