Amaretto Peach Cobbler
- Yield 8 servings
Almond-scented sweet peaches with a buttery pastry crust.
- Basic Pastry:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup ice water, divided
- 6 cups peeled and sliced ripe peaches (about 3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- Grated rind of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Amaretto
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Cinnamon-sugar or turbinado sugar, optional
- To prepare pastry, combine flour and salt in bowl of a food processor fitted with a chilled steel blade. Pulse to combine; add butter. Pulse until texture resembles coarse meal. (Or cut butter into flour with a pastry blender or your fingers.) Add water, processing until just combined. Press mixture gently into 4-inch circle on plastic wrap; cover. Chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- To prepare fruit, combine peaches, sugar and flour; toss well. Add lemon rind, lemon juice, Amaretto, nutmeg, salt and butter; toss well.
- Lightly flour a work surface. Roll out half the pastry dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Line a 2-quart casserole (2 1/2-inches deep) with pastry, trimming to fit. Spoon fruit into casserole.
- Roll out remaining pastry to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Place over fruit. Moisten edges of the top and sides with a little water, press them together and crimp decoratively. Cut several slits in top crust. Brush crust with egg white and sprinkle generously with cinnamon-sugar, if using.
- Place dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake 45 to 50 minutes, until top is golden brown and fruit is bubbly.
Recipe by Damon Lee Fowler.