- Yield 32 servings
Chocolate brownies are topped with cream cheese frosting then a delicious layer of Amaretto chocolate sauce.
- 3 tablespoons tub margarine
- 4 ounces light cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-2 tablespoon milk
- 1 -- (1-ounce) square semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 teaspoons tub margarine
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto
- Prepare the brownie mix according to directions. Bake in a 9×13-inch pan.
- To prepare the icing. Cream margarine and cream cheese together, adding confectioners' sugar and almond extract. Add just enough milk to make smooth and spreadable. Spread over cooled brownies.
- To prepare the topping. Melt chocolate square and margarine. Mix cocoa powder, sugar and cornstarch. Stir corn syrup and milk into cocoa mixture gradually. Add to melted chocolate and continue cooking, stirring until well mixed and smooth. Remove from heat. Mix in Amaretto. Cool slightly. Spread over icing. Refrigerate until firm. Cut into small squares.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Baton Rouge’s River Road Recipes III (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 1994).