Mark Boughton Photography / styling by Teresa Blackburn
- Caramelized Onions:
- 1 1/2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1pound sweet onions, diced
- 1/2teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 2cups half-and-half
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2teaspoon hot sauce
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/3cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
blog comments powered by
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To prepare caramelized onions, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, salt, pepper and sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- To prepare tarts, combine half-and-half, whole eggs, egg yolks, cornstarch, nutmeg, thyme, salt and hot sauce. Whisk vigorously until well blended. Pour into muffin cups.
- Evenly divide caramelized onions and cheese among tarts. Evenly divide the custard among tarts.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven, cool briefly, then serve. You may also refrigerate tarts for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 60 days. Be sure to cool tarts to room temperature before freezing. Makes 12 (2-inch) tarts.