Almost Lasagna Zucchini Casserole
- Yield: 4 servings
Growing up in the country, we always had a big garden. Zucchini grows so quickly and is so plentiful, we were always looking for new recipes. This one is our favorite.
- 2 to 3small zucchini, peeled and sliced
- 1pound lean ground beef
- 1cup chopped onions
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (14-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded mozzarella
- 6 butter-flavor crackers, crushed
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4cup grated Parmesan, or to taste
- Grease an 8-inch-square baking pan. Arrange the zucchini in the bottom of the pan.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and onions and cook until browned, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat. Add the tomato sauce and tomatoes to the beef mixture; toss gently, yet thoroughly, to blend. Add the mozzarella; toss gently.
- Spoon the mixture on top of the zucchini and sprinkle evenly with the cracker crumbs and Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes, or until the top is golden and the zucchini is tender. Remove from the oven and let stand 20 minutes before serving.
— Marcella Stewart, Madison, Ind.