Almost-Instant Black Bean Chili
- Yield 6 servings
This is a perfect make-ahead recipe, since this high-fiber chili is even better the second day.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat the water in a large skillet or pot. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook over high heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce, beans and their liquid, chilies, and cumin. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, or until flavors are blended. Makes about 6 cups.
Recipe reprinted from Foods That Fight Pain by Neal Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond, M.S., R.D, courtesy of The Cancer Project