Almond Rocka Candy
- Yield: 2 pounds servings
- 2cups (4 sticks) butter
- 1package (1-pound) superfine sugar
- 2cups slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 (8-ounce) plain milk chocolate bar, broken into squares
- 1/2cup finely chopped pecans
- Combine the butter and sugar in a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until the mixture loses its bright yellow color, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the almonds. Cook for 20 minutes or until the almonds are light brown and the mixture is a rich tan color, stirring constantly.
- Spread evenly in a greased 10×15-inch pan. Let stand for 15 minutes or until a hard film forms on the candy.
- Place the chocolate squares over the surface of the candy. Let stand until the chocolate softens and spread over the top using the back of a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle with the pecans. Cool completely and break into bite-size pieces.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Lafayette, Inc., Something to Talk About, Occasions We Celebrate in South Louisiana (the Junior League of Lafayette, Inc., 2005)