Almond Raisin Rice
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2cup chopped onion
- 8ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 3/4teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2teaspoon turmeric
- 1cup white or brown rice
- 1cup sliced almonds
- 3/4cup golden raisins
- 1-- (14 1/2-ounce) can condensed chicken broth plus enough water to measure 2 cups.
- -- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- -- toasted sliced almonds for garnish
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion, mushrooms and bell pepper and saute until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the salt, curry powder and turmeric. Add the rice and stir until well coated. Pour into a 2-quart baking dish.
- Place the almonds in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave on High for 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring every 30 seconds. Add to the rice mixture.
- Stir in the raisins and chicken broth with water and cover. Microwave on High for 5 minutes; stir. Microwave on Medium for 15 minutes for white rice or 40 minutes for brown rice or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Garnish with chopped parsley and toasted almonds.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Augusta’s Par 3: Tea Time at the Masters (the Junior League of Augusta, Ga., 2005).