Almond Raisin Rice
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Turmeric gives this dish lots of rich flavor and color.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup white or brown rice
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 -- (14 1/2-ounce) can condensed chicken broth plus enough water to measure 2 cups.
- -- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- -- toasted sliced almonds for garnish
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion, mushrooms and bell pepper and saute until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the salt, curry powder and turmeric. Add the rice and stir until well coated. Pour into a 2-quart baking dish.
- Place the almonds in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave on High for 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring every 30 seconds. Add to the rice mixture.
- Stir in the raisins and chicken broth with water and cover. Microwave on High for 5 minutes; stir. Microwave on Medium for 15 minutes for white rice or 40 minutes for brown rice or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Garnish with chopped parsley and toasted almonds.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Augusta’s Par 3: Tea Time at the Masters (the Junior League of Augusta, Ga., 2005).