Almond Orange Flan
- Yield: 10 servings
A rich egg custard is baked over caramelized sugar, then inverted for this Spanish dessert. Using a water bath during baking protects the eggs from overcooking and ensures a creamy flan.
- 1 1/2cups sugar, divided
- 4cups whole milk
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange
- 2/3cup whole blanched almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Heat 1 cup sugar in a nonstick pan over medium heat until sugar becomes light golden brown (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Pour immediately into the bottom of a 9-inch metal cake pan with 2-inch sides or metal flan ring, coating the bottom evenly.
- Combine milk, vanilla, almond extract, nutmeg and remaining ½ cup sugar in a saucepan. Place over low to medium heat and cook until almost simmering, stirring occasionally. Do not let mixture boil. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl. Strain milk mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, through a fine-mesh sieve into eggs, whisking well. Stir in orange peel.
- Place cake pan in a large roasting pan. Pour milk mixture into cake pan; carefully place roasting pan on middle rack of oven. Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to within 1 inch of the top of cake pan. Cover cake pan with a pie plate or foil.
- Bake about 60 minutes, until custard is just set (mixture should jiggle slightly). Remove from oven. Remove cake pan from water bath; let cool. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- To serve, run a thin spreader or knife around the edge of flan in dish. Place a large serving plate (must overlap flan dish by at least 1 inch) on top. Invert flan onto plate. Sprinkle toasted almonds on top. (Note: Some of the caramelized sugar will stick in the pan.)
Recipe by David Feder.
For a complete menu featuring Almond Orange Flan, along with 11 more simple menus for year round entertaining, check out our Supper Club Menus Recipe App for the iPad on iTunes.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 280
- Fat 12g
- Cholesterol 180mg
- Sodium 75mg
- Carbohydrate 37g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 9g