- Yield: 16 pieces
- 8whole blanched almonds
- 2large egg whites
- 7/8cup ground almonds
- 7/8cup superfine sugar
- 1/5cup rice flour
- 1/4teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line 2 baking sheets with rice or parchment paper. Split the almonds in half lengthwise.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until they form soft peaks.
- Fold in the ground almonds, superfine sugar, rice flour, and almond extract.
- Put teaspoons of the mixture onto the baking sheet and press down slightly with the back of a spoon. Place an almond half in the center. bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly golden. Let set on the baking sheet for 2 minutes to set, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Cut around the rice paper, if using, before storing in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Reprinted with permission from Alison Walker’s A Country Cook’s Kitchen (Rizzoli, 2012.)