Almond Chess Squares
- Yield 4
These make a great pick-up dessert.
- 1 (18 1/4-ounce) box light yellow cake mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon butter extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, egg, margarine, water and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. Beat by hand until well blended. Pat batter into bottom of baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and egg whites until mixture is smooth and creamy. Add remaining teaspoon almond extract and butter extract. Pour over batter in pan. Bake 45 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Let cool in pan on a rack and cut into squares.