- Yield 12 servings
Toasted almonds make this brittle the perfect vegan treat.
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup (optional)
- 8 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 to 2 tablespoon coarse sea salt (optional)
- Line a baking sheet or 9 by 13-inch casserole dish with parchment paper.
- Place all the ingredients, except the almonds, baking soda, and salt, in a large, heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Stir well. Using a candy thermometer, cook until the temperature reaches 300F, about 10 minutes. Do not stir the mixture. If you do not cook it long enough, it will not reach the brittle stage. If you cook it for too long, it may burn, so keep a close eye on it.
- Add the almonds and baking soda, mix well, and pour the mixture onto the lined baking sheet or casserole dish. Spread with a spatula to create about a 1/4-inch depth. At this point, you can sprinkle evenly with the coarse salt, if using.
- Chill in the refrigerator until the brittle hardens, about 10 minutes. Break apart with your hands to create twelve pieces of brittle.