All Year Christmas Rice
- Yield 8 servings
This rice-based dish features peas and roasted red peppers in a chicken white wine sauce.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon chicken base (or bouillon)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 -- (7-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Place water, wine, chicken base, and chopped onion in a 4-quart saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil. Add rice and reduce heat to a simmer and cover with tight fitting lid. Simmer rice for 20 minutes. Remove lid and fluff rice.
- Add Parmesan cheese, peas, red peppers, and garlic. Stir until cheese is melted and well incorporated. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired.
Recipe by Michelle Plummer, MS, RD, CD, Indiana. Reprinted with permission from the American Dietetic Association's Cooking Healthy Across America (Wiley, 2004).