All About Color Veggie Parmesan
- Yield: servings
"Recently, I enjoyed a colorful vegetable medley containing zucchini, tomatoes, onions and parmesan cheese. Since I'm seeking to keep my weight down, and noticed these veggies were swimming in a considerable amount of oil, I decided to concoct a similar, healthier dish at home." Bursting with color and low-calorie veggies, my recipe has just enough margarine and parmesan to give it a rich, satisfying flavor. It makes 8-10 servings, each containing less than 5 grams of fat. Calories per rounded half-cup serving, about 70.
- 2medium zucchini squash, sliced
- 2medium yellow squash, sliced
- 1medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 14.5 ounce can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3tablespoons melted margarine
- 1/2cup grated parmesan cheese
- Stir veggies (except tomatoes) into boiling water to which salt and pepper has been added. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until tender (about 15 minutes). Drain.
- Stir in tomatoes Pour mixture into an 11″ x 7″ (or comparable) microwaveable baking dish. Drizzle with melted margarine and sprinkle with parmesan. Blend slightly. Microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes, until bubbly. Serve with a small serving of lean meat, brown rice and fresh fruit for a healthy dinner!
Recipe by Ann Maniscalco, Ocean Springs, Miss.