Alaska Almond Roca
- Yield: servings
"This Alaksa Almond Roca is my favorite candy recipe. When I was living in Washington, my neighbor gave me a recipe book she had picked up in Alaska. I've made this every year since."
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 1cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1/4cup water
- 1tablespoon white corn syrup
- 8ounces slivered almonds
- 8ounces milk chocolate chips
- Lightly grease a jelly roll pan.
- Put the sugar, butter, water, corn syrup, and almonds in a heavy skillet. Stir occasionally over medium heat until a candy thermometer registers 290F. Watch carefully to be sure the candy does not burn. It will become a rich amber color and will form a hard ball when dropped by the spoonful into cold water. (Depending on altitude, you may need to heat the candy to 310F to achieve the same result.) The almonds will be toasted at this point.
- Pour the candy, while warm, onto the pan. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top. Spread with a butter knife until the chocolate makes an even coating. Allow to cool. Break into bite-sized pieces, and store in an airtight container.
Recipe by Barbara Allison, Woodburn, Ore