Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 4 mins
Shrimp, red onion, tomato and peppers, skewered and grilled.
With restaurants in New York City, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Ga.; Palm Beach and Miami, Fla.; Hackensack, N.J.; and National Harbor, Md., Rosa Mexicano delivers authentic Mexican cuisine in an accessible, stylish and festive atmosphere. Try this recipe for a Cinco de Mayo celebration of your own. If outdoor grilling isn't feasible, try using a cast-iron or other indoor grill pan.
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 small red onion, halved
- 1 -- tomato, halved and seeded
- 8 -- Serrano peppers
- 4 -- 10-inch bamboo skewers, soaked in water 20 minutes
- 2 -- garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for skewers
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Prepare grill.
- Crush garlic, oregano, pepper and salt to form a paste and place in a bowl. Add lime juice, Worcestershire and olive oil.
- Place shrimp in bowl and mix well. Marinate for 10 minutes.
- Slice onion halves cut side down into 16 half-moon shaped pieces. Slice tomato cut side down into 12 half-moon shaped pieces.
- Skewer ingredients beginning with Serrano, followed by onion, tomato and shrimp. Repeat process until 6 shrimp are skewered, ending with a Serrano. Season the skewers with additional salt if desired.
- Grill skewers over medium-high heat until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Serve with pico de gallo or salsa
Recipe courtesy of Rosa Mexicano restaurants (rosamexicano.com).