Ahi Tuna with Golden Raisin-Ginger Cream
- Yield 8 cups
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 10 mins
Tangy golden raisins meld into this ginger cream to top an extraordinary appetizer.
- Golden Raisin-Ginger Cream:
- 4 ounces California golden raisins
- 2 ounces garlic cloves, peeled
- 8 ounces red jalapeños (about 12 chiles)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger*
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil (optional)
- 2 cups mayonnaise (8 ounces)
- Tuna and mushrooms:
- 4 sashimi grade tuna steaks, cut 1/2-inch thick (about 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea salt
- 12 Royal Trumpet mushrooms
- Coarse sea salt; for garnish
- Micro cilantro or small cilantro leaves; for garnish
- Combine raisins and garlic in small saucepot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until raisins are plump and garlic cloves are very tender. Drain and set aside. Char, peel and seed jalapeños. In food processor, combine raisins and garlic with jalapeños, mayonnaise, buttermilk, ginger, lime juice, salt and oil. Process until very smooth. Chill. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
- To Serve: Lightly season tuna steaks with sea salt. Sear to rare (145F) in very hot skillet. Cool to room temperature. Slice thin. Set aside.
- Slice mushrooms, lenthwise, 1/4-inch thick. Arrange slices of mushrooms in single layer on serving tray and arrange a slice of tuna on each. Top with a dollop of Golden Raisin-Ginger Cream and sprinkle with sea salt and cilantro leaves.
Chef’s Note: Perfect Purée (brand) candied ginger preferred.
Recipe by Chef Robert Del Grande, courtesy of the California Raisin Marketing Board