Adirondack Corn Chowder
- Yield: 6 cups
- 3tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2cup chopped celery
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1cup pared, diced potatoes
- 2cups water
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon paprika
- 1-- bay leaf
- 3tablespoons flour
- 2cups milk
- 1-- (10-ounce) package frozen white corn in butter sauce
- -- chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until transparent.
- Add potatoes, water, and seasonings. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes.
- In a separate pan, combine flour and 1/2 cup of the milk to make a paste. Bring paste to a boil and add to the chowder. Reduce heat.
- Stir chowder until it thickens.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 cups milk. Add corn and milk to chowder. Do not let chowder boil.
- Garnish with chopped parsley at serving time.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Rochester’s Applehood & Motherpie (The Junior League of Rochester, Inc., 1981).