Acorn Squash Turkey Boat
- Yield 2 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Cook 35 mins
Ground turkey and barley make a great filling for baking acorn squash.
- 1 acorn squash
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup barley
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 small onion
- 2 teaspoons rosemary garlic seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1 can black olives
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut acorn squash into halves and remove seeds. (To can save the seeds, wash and dry them, season with salt and pepper and bake with the squash on a baking sheet. I use as garnish.) Rub squash with olive oil and bake about 30 minutes. It will be done when your fork pierces it easily.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil. Add barley and reduce heat. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place turkey in a large skillet and cook over medium heat, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink. Remove to a plate and drain excess fat.
- Saute onion with salt and pepper and seasoning. Add garlic, capers, olives and tomatoes. Heat until just warm. Add turkey and barley. Remove squash from oven and fill centers with turkey mixture. Top with squash seeds, if using.
Note: Leftover turkey mixture can be used on a bun like a sloppy joe.