24-Hour Cabbage Salad
- Yield 10 servings
Make this cabbage salad a day ahead and refrigerate to crisp.
My Aunt Loretta made this salad when I was a little girl visiting her home in New Jersey. I always think of her when I make it.
- 1 medium head cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 green pepper, very finely diced
- 6 stuffed olives, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- To prepare salad, place cabbage, onion, green pepper, olives and sugar in a medium-size bowl.
- To prepare dressing, combine vinegar, celery seed, mustard, oil, salt, pepper and mustard seed in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 3 minutes. Pour over cabbage mixture, and stir well. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours. Stir again before serving.
—Mary L. Bishop, Waymart, PA