- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
"This is the oldest recipe I have. It was given to me by my aunt in Vivian, La., in 1931. This makes the most delicious cold sandwiches."
- 1pound regular or lean ground beef
- 1/2pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 1cup cracker crumbs or cracker meal
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3tablespoons chili powder
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- 2 bacon slices, halved
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine the ground beef, sausage, onion, cracker crumbs, tomato paste, eggs, chili powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; mix well.
- Place the bacon strips on the bottom of an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan. Place the ground beef mixture on top of the bacon. Pat down with fingertips to spread evenly.
- Bake 1 hour and 5 minutes, or until a meat thermometer reaches 175 F.
- Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes. Invert on a cutting board and slice.
Recipe by Juanita Jones, Kingsville, Texas