Irish Soda Bread from Spatulatta
- Yield: 12 servings
- 5cups all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon salt
- 5teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 1/4cups raisins
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4cup sugar
- 1 1/2 to 2cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Mix the flour, soda, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Unwrap the butter and set the wrapper aside to use when greasing the cookie sheet. Mix the butter in with a spoon.
- Add the raisins, eggs and sugar. Mix these ingredients in well. At a certain point you’ll have to start using your hand. Scoop the dry ingredients up from the bottom of the bowl and gently push into the dough using your closed fist.
- Next add the buttermilk a little at a time. This is a good two-person job. One person mixes the dough while the other slowly pours the buttermilk. Stop when the dough becomes sticky. Take the dough out of the bowl and put it on the board sprinkled with flour.
- “Knead” the dough 10 times. Kneading means to fold the dough in on itself and then press down. You will want to turn the dough around every so often. So fold and press, fold and press, then turn until you have kneaded the dough 10 times.
- Cut the dough in half and shape it into 2 round loaves.
- Use the butter wrapper to put a thin layer of butter on the cookie sheet. Place the dough on the greased cookie sheet.
- “Score” the top of the bread. To score means to cut into but not all the way through. Score the bread across the middle one way, then across the other way. The scoring is decorative but it also lets the top get extra crusty.
- Put the bread into the oven and bake 45 to 60 minutes or until the bread is nice nutty brown.
- You can ask your adult helper to test the bread to make sure it is baked all the way through by inserting a skewer or a slim knife into the middle of the bread. If it comes out clean, with no dough clinging to it, the bread is done.
- Cool slightly before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Spatulatta
Watch our video to see how it’s made:
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 370
- Fat 9g
- Sodium 580mg
- Carbohydrate 65g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 8g