1-2-3 Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Bonbons for Kids
- Yield: 15 pieces
Honeydukes Treats is every Hogwarts student's candy store of choice. And with sugary sweet bonbons like these who can blame them?
- 1 1/2cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2cups creamy peanut butter
- 1teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1cup crisp rice cereal
- 10ounces milk chocolate, melted, for coating
- Combine the confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla in the large bowl of an electric mixer. Mix on low speed until the mixture begins to come together. Beat on high speed until it reaches a dough-like consistency, with no crumbs. If it’s too sticky, add a bit more confectioners’ sugar; if it’s too dry, add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time. Note: It’s better to avoid adding the milk as the rice cereal with begin to lose its crunch after several hours due to the added moisture. Add the rice cereal and mix until combined.
- Form the mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls and line them up on parchment paper. Using two forks, dip the balls one at a time into the melted chocolate, turn to coat and then lift out, allowing the excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl. Place the coated candies back onto the parchment paper. Try to wait until the chocolate has set before you eat them. To speed things up, you can put the bonbons in the refrigerator for 10 minutes, but no longer than that. The condensation can ruin the chocolate.
—Recipe reprinted with permission from The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook by Dinah Bucholz (Adams Media, 2010).