- Yield 3
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 30 mins
A shortbread with a subtle lemon twist, these go perfectly with tea or hot apple cider.
For plain butter cookies, omit the lemon rind.
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- Finely grated rind of 3 lemons
- Powdered sugar for topping
- In a large bowl, beat butter well. Add sugar gradually and beat well.
- Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add rind; mix well.
- Divide dough in half and roll into logs about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Roll each log in powdered sugar. Wrap in waxed paper and chill until firm. If baking later, freeze shaped dough and defrost slightly before baking.
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Slice dough 1/4-inch thick. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 30 minutes, or until edges are golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to a week, or freeze up to a month.
Recipe by Charmian Christie.