Grilled Chili Flank Steak
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup V-8 juice or other brand vegetable juice
- 2/3 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 3-pound beef flank steak
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, V-8 juice, soy sauce, oil, garlic, chili powder, cumin, chili sauce and allspice. Whisk together until blended. Pour half into a large zip-top plastic bag. Add steak, seal bag and turn to coat well. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade. Remove steak and discard marinade in bag. Heat grill to 400 to 500 degrees. Grill steak about 8 minutes on each side. Slice steak very thin. Heat reserved marinade to serve with steak.
– Linda Bier, Hannibal, Mo.
For more information on why meat needs to rest after cooking, watch this video for tips from the “Butcher Boys” of Porter Road Butcher in Nashville, TN