Double Chocolate Pudding Pie
- Yield 8-10 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 10 mins
Creamy pudding fills a graham cracker crust in this lower-fat version of chocolate pie.
Want to get extra chocolatey? Use chocolate-flavored graham cracker crusts!
- -- Cooking spray
- 14 -- graham cracker squares (7 full sheets)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 package (.25-ounce) unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2/3 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, chilled
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- To prepare crust, place graham crackers in a food processor and process until finely ground. Add butter and water; process until crumb clump together. Press mixture into the bottom of pie plate and up about 1 inch on the sides. Bake 10 minutes. Cool.
- To prepare filling, combine gelatin with 1/4 cup cold water. Let stand 2 minutes. Place in microwave, and cook on high 40 seconds, until dissolved.
- Mix 2/3 cup sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Gradually add half the milk, whisking until smooth. Whisk in remaining milk. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add bittersweet chocolate and vanilla; stir until chocolate is melted. Stir in gelatin mixture. Pour into piecrust. Refrigerate 3 hours.
- Whip cream in a medium bowl with a mixer at high speed. When it is about halfway to soft peaks, add 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Continue whipping until it barely holds a soft peak. Spread around the outer edges of pie filling. Store in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Recipe adapted with permission from The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life, by Ellie Krieger (The Taunton Press, 2008).