Wine Tasting Party
Tips on hosting your own wine-tasting party.
Wine expert Charles Smothermon answers your questions.
Q. I’d love to have a wine tasting for my friends but don’t want to risk looking like a goof—frankly, I don’t know a lot about wine. How can I pull this off?
A. There’s only one thing you need to know: what you like. A tasting can be as simple as focusing on a favorite varietal—say, Cabernet Sauvignon or Chardonnay—and comparing four to eight different versions. As for the logistics:
- Have on hand several good-quality, tulip-shaped wine glasses for each guest.
- Offer bottled water and a bucket for rinse water and excess wine
- You need pour only 2- to 3-ounce samplings
- For nibbles, stick to mild-flavored appetizers, crackers or bread
- Take notes and pick favorites—but don’t put anyone on the spot. Keep the fun in and the snoot-factor out.