Summertime and the living is easy—so's dinner if you're making flatbread pizza.
For an easy, fast-fix dinner, flatbreads, pitas or naan make a great platform for pizzas that use leftovers or ingredients you may already have in your refrigerator—from smoked salmon and blue cheese to fresh apple slices or cappicola.
Since flatbreads require just 5 minutes and can be cooked in an oven or on a grill, any ingredient that can be reheated in that same time is fair game, including leftover Chinese take-out, ratatouille or sautéed vegetables.
However, you should use only pre-cooked ingredients or those that do not require cooking or those that will cook quickly. Try these delicious toppers or the recipe below:
* Spoon on quarter-sized dollops of ready-made pesto or olive tapenade and add 1/4 inch slices of fresh tomato
* Layer on finely shaved or sliced ham or salami with fresh red onion. Keep the layers of topping no more than 1/4-inch thick.
* Spread 1/2 cup prepared tomato sauce evenly on top of flatbread, then top with sautéed spinach and quarter-sized slices of fresh mozzarella
* Scatter smoked salmon, fresh chives and goat cheese on top
* Arrange thinly sliced apple, caramelized onions and crumbled blue cheese on top.