Ways to be Greener in the Kitchen
Tips for a "greener," more sustainable kitchen.
- Buy frozen orange juice and mix it in a reusable container, rather than buying a new jug each time.
- Bring foods to room temperature before placing in the oven.
- Instead of rinsing your dishes, scrape them into the trashcan before placing in the dishwasher. It saves water.
- Use a slow cooker. It uses less energy than an incandescent light bulb. For slow cooker recipes, go to relishmag.com/slowcooker
- If your oven has a convection setting, use it for baking. It keeps air moving and cooks faster.
- Don’t open the oven while baking. The temperature drops 25F each time.
- Use dishtowels instead of paper towels to wipe up messes.