Kitchen Kitsch: DIY Weekend Project
Create your own serving trays for home entertaining and everyday use with old picture frames and a few simple tools.
Trays of all sizes and shapes come in handy in the kitchen—why not create your own with recycled wooden picture frames, a couple of drawer pulls and a bit of easy-to-find hardware? Here's how:
What you will need:
- Wood frame with glass and backing intact (new or recycled)
- Metal door or drawer pull set, with screws, available from hardware stores.
- A drill and drill bit that fits the screws for your pulls.
- A screwdriver that fits the screws for your pulls.
- A sheet of heavy art paper or cardboard cut the same size as the frame glass and backing.
- Decorative fabric cut to cover the paper or cardboard.
- Glue stick and scissors.
- Rubber or foam stamps and stamp inks, images cut from magazines, wrapping papers, newspapers.
- Take frame apart. Clean glass. Set aside.
- Glue decorative fabric onto the art paper or cardboard.
- Glue images cut from magazines, wrapping papers or newspapers onto fabric. Use stamps to create words or phrases.
- Using a drill, create pilot holes for the drawer pull screws on sides of frames. Attach door pulls.
- Reassemble frame, placing the artwork you’ve created between the glass and the frame backing. Make sure the backing is secure in the frame.
— By Teresa Blackburn