Easy tricks to take traditional Thanksgiving dishes to a whole new level.
When it comes to Thanksgiving we’re all for tradition. But we’re also staunch advocates of evolving traditions and keeping your holiday menu interesting—without ruffling too many feathers, of course. Here are 6 simple ways to change things up.
- Serve raw cranberry relish in place of canned sauce. Find our favorite fresh cranberry sauce below.
- Add oysters to bread dressing. Check out our recipe for Oyster Dressing below.
- Stir Cheddar or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese into mashed sweet potatoes.
- Tuck fresh herbs inside the bird before roasting.
- Make dressing with half cornbread and half biscuits.
- Grate fresh nutmeg on vegetables, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie. For a pumpkin pie with extra spice, see below.
A Low Country classic, this oyster dressing crowns any menu with dressy elegance.
This recipe is great leftover and will keep about a week in the refrigerator.
Vary the spices to get it just the way your crowd likes it.