Summertime Bean Salads
Kidney, Black, Green, Pinto and Garbanzo beans all get their chance to shine this season in these refreshing salads.
Think beans are just for cold weather? Think again. In a crispy cool bean salad, beans are lighter and brighter yet still as filling as ever. This potluck and barbecue side-dish favorite can be prepared in countless ways and is absolutely swoon-worthy when filled to the brim with crunchy farm fresh veggies and protein-packed beans. So pick your bean base from one of the five choices below, and then whip up the recipe that follows:
- Kidney: For a side dish, try our Warm Kidney Bean Salad. For a meatier main dish, mix these richly shaded beans with barley, fresh green peppers and a can of tuna and then top with an olive oil and lemon dressing.
- Black: For a Tex-Mex style salad, simply mix beans with corn, tomatoes, green onions and fresh cilantro and, then top it all off with a sprinkling of lime juice.
- Green: Crisp and garden fresh, green beans will give your salad all the crunch you need. So toss them with juicy cherry tomatoes, soft feta cheese and grilled corn. Add a lemon-mint vinaigrette to really bring out the flavors.
- Pinto: Make a spicy salad by mixing pinto beans with cherry tomatoes, pepperoncini peppers, onions, celery and fresh parsley. Toss in an herbed vinaigrette and add a splash of Tabasco for extra flavor.
- Garbanzo: A highly versatile bean, garbanzos are great mixed in couscous with roasted bell peppers, red onions, cucumbers, currents and feta cheese. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on top and toss in a honey-Dijon dressing to finish.
—By Emily Arno
Dried cannellini beans are at the center of this vegetable salad.
The rich flavor and silky texture of prosciutto di Parma, the most famous of the Italian hams, makes a delicious addition to this summery salad.