As the former cheft and nutritionist for The Biggest Loser on NBC, Cheryl Forberg was the science behind the sizzle, the calorie coach behind the camera. It’s no smoke and mirrors, just calories in and calories out, and some good, wholesome food along the way. Here are her tips for healthy eating regardless of your weight.
How to Achieve Biggest Loser Success at Home
- Just say no to white stuff—pasta, sugar and flour. Go for nutrient-rich whole grains in the form of cereals, tortillas and breads. They’re loaded with flavor, fiber and antioxidants. This step in itself can really get the scale moving downward.
- Have fruit or vegetables with every meal and snack; aim for 4 cups a day (mostly veggies). They’re a rich source of nutrients and fiber, and healthy portion sizes increase satiety.
- Exercise. This is not a diet-only plan. You must exercise regularly (and intensely) to burn more calories than you take in. This includes cardio and weight-bearing activities
- Plan ahead—three meals a day plus two snacks. Record everything in a food journal, and don’t skip meals or snacks.
- Power up with lean protein for every meal and snack. Protein helps slow the release of blood sugar, promoting fullness and sustained energy (which allows you to exercise more). It also helps build muscle.
- If you slip up today, jump back in the game tomorrow by eating less, exercising more, or both. With a little motivation and dedication, you too can find yourself fit and full of energy this year. Losing weight may just be the icing on the cake.
By Cheryl Forberg