A collection of chicken recipes all calling for roasted chicken, a busy night's best friend.
Casseroles, pizzas, salads, sandwiches, pastas…must we go on? Roasted chicken can infiltrate just about any weeknight meal, and we find that pretty fantastic. To salute the busy-parent’s champion bird, we’ve gathered some of our favorite recipes that are both affordable and simple.
All of the recipes listed below will work well with a rotisserie chicken picked up from the deli, but if you’d rather roast a full bird on your own (it’ll save you a few bucks and give you more options), here are some helpful tips:
- Be sure to search for and remove the giblets before roasting. Some brands of poultry won’t have them included, but for those that do, they are oftentimes found in the chicken’s body cavity.
- Roast your chicken breast-side down. The breast meat will become moist and tender as a result since the chicken’s juices naturally gather at the bottom of the pan. Flip the chicken over to breast side up midway through the roast.
- To speed up the process, try spatchcocking your chicken. To do this, remove the chicken’s backbone with a pair of chicken shears. Lay the chicken flat, and cook breast side up. To see how it’s done, watch the video.
- When checking your chicken’s temperature, stick the thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken (typically the thigh) to get the most accurate reading.
- Rubbing herbs, lemon slices, salt, pepper, butters or oils into the chicken’s skin will give your chicken fabulous flavor prior to roasting—you can also place aromatics (onions, garlic, lemon, etc.) and herbs inside the chicken’s cavity. Watch an easy herbed chicken be roasted here:
—By Emily Arno, Relish Multimedia Editor
Savory roast chicken and tender caramelized onions top this crispy-crusted pizza.
The traditional Italian baked pasta, with chicken, cheese, sherry and nutmeg.
Use leftover roasted chicken in this quick weeknight main-dish soup.
Rotisserie chicken and canned garbanzo beans make this hearty chili an easy meal.
Quick-and-easy chicken and rice? Really, truly—deli chicken cuts cooking time in half.
A great end-of-summer dish that uses fresh herbs, summer tomatoes, and shredded rotisserie chicken.
Rotisserie chicken gives you a jump-start on an easy dinner with Tex-Mex flair.