Indoor Herb Garden
Recycle kitchen cans into a winsome window herb garden.
Jumpstart the growing season by starting your herb plants—basil, parsley, cilantro and dill and chives—in colorful recycled cans. Place the cans on a tray to catch drips and position in front of a sunny window or on a windowsill.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Tin can
- Large nail or awl to make holes in bottom of each tin for drainage
- Herb plants
- Small bag of potting soil
- Small stones to put into bottom of cans
- Clear plastic pot saucers or small odd saucers to catch water
- Turn clean and dry can upside down and make a few holes in the bottom using a nail or awl and hammer.
- With tin right side up, place a few stones or rocks into bottom of tin can and then add some potting soil leaving enough room for plant. Add plant to tin and press gently. Add more soil around plant if needed.
- Line tin cans up in sunny window with drainage saucers underneath and water regularly. You will have a handy source of fresh herbs in your kitchen all season long.