The arrival of late autumn’s cold wind has forever been my go-ahead to cocoon myself in a cable-knit sweater and a quilt in front of a warm fireplace. And what is my soothing beverage of choice for this snugglefest? A toasty toddy of course.
Hot toddies are warm alcoholic beverages oftentimes filled with aromatic spices and flavors. Though their history is a little muddled, it is believed the name “toddy” is derived from the Hindu word tari – a traditionally sweet alcoholic drink made from palm sap.
So cuddle up and try the following simple mixes for relaxing sippers:
- 1 oz of bourbon mixed in a cup of boiling hot water with honey and fresh lemon juice. Stir with cinnamon stick.
- Heat white wine. Add honey, a splash of pear brandy, ginger, cloves and a slice of an Asian pear to top.
- Bring apple cider to a light simmer then add a small amount of Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur and a few drops of blackstrap bitters.
- Combine a piece of lime zest, four dried cherries and a teaspoon of sugar in a mug. Add 2 ounces of rye and pour boiling water on top.
- Make an adult version of our Mayan Hot Chocolate by adding a few ounces of a rich seasonal liqueur. And with tasty flavors out there such as pumpkin pie, chocolate and white chocolate—it is hard to go wrong with your liqueur choice.
—By Emily Arno