8 REASONS TO HEAD FOR THE KITCHEN
1. Have it your way. Really. Despite the fast food restaurant slogan, the only real way to “have it your way” is to cook it yourself.
2. Money, money, money. Anyone who’s scanned a menu knows that eating out is far more expensive than eating at home.
3. Boost your ego. Whip up something glorious, and bask in the raves that follow. Then just try to remember the last time someone praised you for scrubbing out the toilet.
4. Real cooks don’t get fat. (Ditto for their families.) There’s no shortage of studies that link restaurant meals to obesity. One survey claims that kids gobbled up 55 percent more calories in a restaurant meal than in a home-cooked meal.
5. Be a control freak. The surest way to gain control of what you’re eating is to cook it up yourself.
6. Eliminate stress. Cooking is the ultimate stress-buster. Kick off the shoes. Light a candle. Pour a glass of wine. Stirring risotto can be downright meditative.
7. Cooks are unforgettable. We all have lasting food memories: Bubbie’s chicken soup, Aunt Ruth’s oatmeal cookies. If you’re lucky enough to have kids, pull them up to the counter. Immortality can be yours if you’re willing to stir things up.
8. Your dog will love you for it. Never mind who walks the dog or buys the squeaky toys. In our experience, dogs go straight for the master whose hands smell like garlic and bacon. A dog’s best friend is whoever’s at the cutting board.