Old-Fashioned Fourth of July Picnic
Serve up some of Thomas Jefferson's favorite dishes this 4th of July.
Thomas Jefferson often incorporated Continental cuisine he experienced while serving as minister to France with more common Virginia fare during gatherings at Monticello. While we do not have direct evidence of what he served for the 4th of July, the following menu incorporates many of his favorite dishes.
- Cold Roast Chickens or Turkey
- Virginia Ham Beef a la Daube or Slow-barbecued Mutton, Lamb or Beef
- Baked Macaroni
- Roasted Fresh Ears of Corn
- French Beans with Vinaigrette
- Sliced Fresh Tomatoes
- Assorted Pickles, Olives, and Relishes
- Cornbread Muffins
- Fresh Yeast Rolls
- Chilled Fresh Melon
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Champagne or chilled French Wine or Madeira Raspberry Vinegar